When presented with something new [grammar]

hhtt

Turkish
Would you please explain the part "When presented with something new"? What kind of a contruction is it, and is it also a parenthetical?

A: But I would never have used "marked" in a definition of "immense

B: Why do you prefer "would have" instead of "would" in the above

A: When presented with something new, it is common to compare it with what you knew or would have done before. Up till now I would not have used "marked", but there is the possibility that once the information has sunk in, I might think that it is in fact better and I will start using it in the future.

Self-made.

• london calling

UK English
    I agree with grassy but:
    1. I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you suggest 'marked' may mean 'immense' (it clearly doesn't): why would you even consider using it?
    2. When (you are) presented with something new, it is common to compare it with what you knew or would have done before. :confused: Do you mean ...with what you know or what you have done before/experienced?

hhtt

Turkish
    I agree with grassy but:
    1. I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you suggest 'marked' may mean 'immense' (it clearly doesn't): why would you even consider using it?
    2. When (you are) presented with something new, it is common to compare it with what you knew or would have done before. :confused: Do you mean ...with what you know or what you have done before/experienced?
    Yes.

< Previous | Next >