When she married/By marrying

NatashaP

Spanish - Spain
Encontré en la revista Town & Country el siguiente texto:

On April XX, 19XX, in a real-life fairytale, Amercian actress G. K. became a princess when she married Prince R.

Se trata de una publicación de prestigio. Pero creo que no procede escribir "when" en este caso (sería una redundancia, dado que ya se especificó previamente la fecha). ¿Lo correcto no sería poner "by marrying"?

• The Newt

English - US
    "By marrying" también sería completamente correcto, pero la "redundancia" no es necesariamente un error. Otro ejemplo:

On April XX, 19xx American actress G. K. died when she was run over by a train [at 5:30 in the morning].

sheri_f

English
    If I were to translate the sentence into Spanish and capture the English sentiment, I'd say "...al casarse con..." not "cuando..."

In English, "al + infinitivo" can be translated as "when/once [she married]" or "upon marrying," like your observation that "by marrying" is also correct. To learn more about how English translates al + infinitivo, please see this link. It mentions that al + infinitivo and the English "when" can be used for simultaneous events or ones that directly follow another (she married him and became a princess).

gengo

American English
    On April XX, 19XX, in a real-life fairytale, Amercian actress G. K. became a princess when she married Prince R.

...creo que no procede escribir "when" en este caso (sería una redundancia, dado que ya se especificó previamente la fecha).
    There is no redundancy in the original. Specifying the date does not prevent the use of "when." You could reorder the sentence as follows.

When American actress G. K. married Prince R. on April XX, 19XX, she became a princess in a real-life fairytale.

Other examples:
    Last Monday, I nearly died when a car crashed into mine.
    At 5:00, I was startled awake when the phone rang.
    On October 8, I helped Natasha when I answered her question. (I hope)

< Previous | Next >