When <the> night's been too long and <the> party's been too hearty

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
On the radio:
-- From Opryland, it's the Grand Old Opry on WSM Radio 650. Brought to you by Goody's Headache Powder. When the night's been too long and the party's been too hearty, Goody's Headache Powder will straighten you right out. And you have my word on that. Goody.
The X-Files, TV series

It means: right now is night-time and (right now) you're at a party. "The party" indicates the party you are at now. So indefinite articles with "night" or "party" would be incorrect here, am I right?
Or optional?
Thanks.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree with your comments about definite/indefinite article use in this quote.

Details: the situation being described (when you might use their product) is after a long night, after a party, not during a party. It also may be the next morning: it's whenever the headache or hangover starts. The way they word it ("the" party) implies there was one party, not two or zero.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I agree with your comments about definite/indefinite article use in this quote.

Details: the situation being described (when you might use their product) is after a long night, after a party, not during a party. It also may be the next morning: it's whenever the headache or hangover starts. The way they word it ("the" party) implies there was one party, not two or zero.
    Thank you.

< Previous | Next >