... when the war will be over ....

tamanoir

French France
Hello everybody,

I am picking up this thread to bring up a phrase which puzzled me when I heard it sung by a chorus girl in Stephen Frear's "Mrs Henderson presents".

It went "bla bla when the war will be over and won".

Is this "will" regular and if so how does this clause compare with "when the war is over and won" ?

Thank U

• Kelly B

USA English
    In my opinion, "...when the war will be over" is not standard English. I don't know the song, but I suspect the writer chose the phrase for the meter, or number of syllables, to make it fit nicely with the tune.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi tamanoir,
    You need to tell us what the bla bla bla is.
    Without that, we can't advise you on whether or not this is "regular".

By the way, you is spelt you, not U:)

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Judging from this poem by Robert Service called Pilgrims, it seems to be poetic licence. (Caveat: I don't know whether the song is based on this poem.)
    For oh, when the war will be over
    We'll go and we'll look for our dead;
    We'll go when the bee's on the clover,
    And the plume of the poppy is red: ...
    Elizabeth

jdenson

USA / English
    Kelly B said:
    In my opinion, "...when the war will be over" is not standard English. I don't know the song, but I suspect the writer chose the phrase for the meter, or number of syllables, to make it fit nicely with the tune.
    This phrase was obviously designed to fit the poem, but in the sentence "I will see you next year when the war will be over and won" it works very well.

COLsass

It almost feels to me that you've wrenched the subjunctive mood out of its place, impossibly so, but done it nonetheless.

When I will be old and grey, we will pass the twilight of our lives in memories.

I just went off to make up a sentence with the will and I felt like I HAD to be poetic. Interesting construction this is.

It basically feels to me that you're saying something will happen for sure even though you couldn't possibly know it will happen. I guess we know wars end, but we never know when or even if they will end (see Israel/Palestine...).

< Previous | Next >