When the wind comes in at a hole go home and look after your soul

< Previous | Next >

tolvox

Estoy leyendo una antigua crónica de viaje* y me topé con este "proverbio español" que desconozco. Alguien sabría decirme a cuál se refiere? Quiero decir, literalmente no encuentro alguno que me resulte familiar. Gracias!!

I retired early to — I was about to say sleep—but what with frolicsome rats which would insist on dancing and performing acrobatic feats on my face and all over my bed, and the delightful cool breezes wafting in spotless white flakes of snow-drift through the walls at my head, and eventually, to crown all, the opportune (or inopportune) arrival and subsequent grand charge of a large cat on to my nose in pursuit of a rat, I got but little sleep for the first few hours : indeed I almost determined on rising and carrying my bed out side, preferring the cold of the open air to the society of rats and cats, with sneaking blasts which like dagger-thrusts penetrated the inmost recesses of the spinal regions ; being mindful of the Spanish proverb—" When the wind comes in at a hole go home and look after your soul."

*Rickard, Francis I. A mining journey across the Great Andes... London, Smith, Elder &Co., 1863(1)

• gengo

American English
    Given that the English version rhymes, and the corresponding Spanish words do not, I would assume that this is a very liberal translation of some saying, such as "Cuando el viento sopla airado, no hay paz en ningún lado."

< Previous | Next >