When was this report received.

bmo

Taiwan
1. Would you please ask her when was this report received?
2. Would you please ask her when this report was received?

Which one is correct?

Thanks.

bmo

• Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    I think the first one is ungrammatical as there is no reason for the inversion of subject and verb. Also, the ultimate test in English - it sounds wrong!

rsweet

English, North America
    I think it's clearer written like this

Would you please ask her, "When was this report received?"

JamesM

Thanks a lot. It is much clearer with the quotes.
    It's important to note, though, that the sentence with the direct quote implies that you want him or her to ask that exact question in those specific words. In other words, it breaks the second half of the sentence into a stand-alone sentence where the "when was" construction works. It is no longer operating as a single sentence.

bmo

Taiwan
    Yes, JamesM. Now I know what gaer meant that it changed the sentences. Thanks for the reminder.

bmo

gaer

US-English
    It's important to note, though, that the sentence with the direct quote implies that you want him or her to ask that exact question in those specific words. In other words, it breaks the second half of the sentence into a stand-alone sentence where the "when was" construction works. It is no longer operating as a single sentence.
    That was my point. This is wrong:

1. Would you please ask her when was this report received?

"Was" is in the wrong place.

1. Would you please ask her, "When was this report received?"

This is grammatically correct, correct word order, but to me everything is made hopelessly complicated by considering sentences both with and without quotes.

< Previous | Next >