when you feel you live, and are in the very middle of <creation>

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 355-356, chapter 16) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie and her sister Hilda was waiting to drive back to Mellors when it's dark.)

The nondescript evening in the hotel dragged out, and at last they had a nondescript dinner. Then Connie slipped a few things into a little silk bag, and combed her hair once more.
‘After all, Hilda,’ she(Connie) said, ‘love can be wonderful: when you feel you live, and are in the very middle of creation.’ It was almost like bragging on her part.

I feel creation means a person, rather than the universe. So in the very middle of creation means in the deep place(uterus, or v a g i n a) of a person

Is that right please?
Thank you in advance

• The Newt

English - US
    I think you're readying way too much into it, or in any case making it much more specific than it actually is. There's absolutely no reason to think "creation means a person."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    ‘After all, Hilda,’ she(Connie) said, ‘love can be wonderful: It is a time when you feel that you are alive/aware of living, and are in the very middle of the scene of creation in which everything looks new and amazing..

Not everything in Lawrence is a reference to the genitals, reproductive organs or lust... ;)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I believe Connie has told Hilda she's pregnant. I think that's why she feels she's mixed up in the mysterious process of creation.

DaylightDelight

Japanese - Tokyo
    But no sentence says she feels she's mixed up.
    It says "when you ... are in the very middle of creation." Being in the middle of something is the same as being mixed up in something. That Connie is pregnant means she is creating a new person, meaning she is in the middle of the act of creation.

cross-posted

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't think that Hilda did know in fact, but Connie may have her pregnancy in mind when she says this.

< Previous | Next >