whence

Please, decidme los significados mas frecuentes del adverbio "whence" y si puede ser en castellano, ya que si me dais las definiciones en inglés no me enteraría de nada. Por cierto; ¿se suele usar?

• te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Henrik Larsson said:
    Please, decidme los significados mas frecuentes del adverbio "whence" y si puede ser en castellano, ya que si me dais las definiciones en inglés no me enteraría de nada. Por cierto; ¿se suele usar?
    Hi Henrik;
    "whence" is not used very often...Maybe only in books..as for us saying it here...no, we do not say it...very proper!!
    whence (hw
    ns, w
    ns)
    adv.
    1. From where; from what place: Whence came this traveler?
    2. From what origin or source: Whence comes this splendid feast?
    conj.
    1. Out of which place; from or out of which.
    2. By reason of which; from which: The dog was coal black from nose to tail, whence the name Shadow.
    Usage Note: The construction from whence has been criticized as redundant since the 18th century. It is true that whence incorporates the sense of from: a remote village, whence little news reached the wider world. But from whence has been used steadily by reputable writers since the 14th century, most notably in the King James Bible: “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help” (Psalms). Such a respectable precedent makes it difficult to label the construction as incorrect. Still, it may be observed that whence (like thence) is most often used nowadays to impart an archaic or highly formal tone to a passage, and that this effect is probably better realized if the archaic syntax of the word
    without from
    is preserved as well.

I hope that I have helped..even little...
    te gato;)

EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    Henrik Larsson said:
    Una vez más recurro a www.ultralingua.net:

whence adv. < hwêns > : 1. de dónde adv. 2. por tanto adv.

Personalmente, nunca la he oído. :p

Saluditos.

EVA.

supercrom

Banned
    Homo peruvianus, practising AE n' learning BE
    CALD (PC version)

whence adverb, conjunction FORMAL
    (from) where:
    It has been returned to the shop from whence it came.
    whereby adverb, conjunction
    1 by which way or method:
    They've set up a plan whereby you can spread the cost over a period.
    We need to devise some sort of system whereby people can liaise with each other.

2 NOT STANDARD in which, or with which:
    It's put me in a position whereby I can't afford to take a job.
    howsoever adverb
    LITERARY FOR however (DEGREE) or however (WAY)
    whosoever pronoun
    OLD USE FOR whoever
    whereas conjunction
    compared with the fact that; but:
    He must be about sixty, whereas his wife looks about thirty.
    You eat a massive plate of food for lunch, whereas I have just a sandwich.
    wherein adverb, conjunction OLD USE OR FORMAL
    in which, or in which part:
    He gazed once more around the room, wherein were assembled his entire family.
    He was certainly a pleasant man but wherein lay his charms, she wondered.
    wheresoever adverb, conjunction
    FORMAL FOR wherever (EVERY PLACE)
    whereupon conjunction
    immediately after which:
    I told her she looked fat, whereupon she threw the entire contents of a saucepan at me and burst into tears.
    Maybe there are more formal words... I learned some when reading some formal papers.

CROM

< Previous | Next >