Where are you at the show/book...

hboo

Chinese
Hello,

When I want to ask a person how much they have finished watching a TV show or a book, at what stage of the show they are watching, at what part of the story they are watching etc., does it make sense to say:

"Where are you at the show?" or "Where are you at the book?"? If not, what would you say in everyday life?

Thanks.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello hboo. :)

I would say "Where are you in the book?" or "How far have you gotten in the book?"

Someone else will have to answer your question about a TV show, as I don't know whether it would be the same.

hboo

Chinese
    Thank you very much, Cagey. If you want to ask someone how much they have finished watching a TV show or which part of the show they are watching, what do you ask? We have a set sentence for this in Chinese, but I don't know what people say in everyday English.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It's possible that people don't really know what you are asking.

If someone is watching a DVD, I might say "Where have you got to? Have you got to the bit where he kisses her yet?"

If they are watching in real time and I don't know what the plot is, I might say "Has it just started?", "Is it nearly finished?", or "How long has it been on for?"

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It doesn't really work very well with a live TV show. But yes, if your friend is watching a recording or a DVD of it you can say something like "How far have you got?"

< Previous | Next >