Where do I pay? / Where will I pay? [habitual vs one-time]

nowherr

Chinese- China
What is the difference ?

When to use where do I pay ? and where will I pay?
I think sometimes both are changeable right?

Thank you :)

• Copyright

American English
    "Where do I pay?" You're in a store, you've picked something up, and you don't see the cashier ... so you ask someone.
    "Where will I pay?" Is a question you would ask someone about paying in the future. I don't think I've ever said or heard it.

They are not interchangeable.

heypresto

English - England
    Where do I pay? = Where do I go to pay for this item?

Where will I pay? = Where will I pay for this item at some time in the future. This doesn't sound like a very natural question.

Cross-posted.

nowherr

Chinese- China
    "Where do I pay?" You're in a store, you've picked something up, and you don't see the cashier ... so you ask someone.
    "Where will I pay?" Is a question you would ask someone about paying in the future. I don't think I've ever said or heard it.

They are not interchangeable.
    She (usually )go to school > Does she go to school?

Like above " where do I pay " has present usage(habitual , recurring) ?

I hear that using present verb when recurring happen .

nowherr

Chinese- China
    And"where do you play tennis "is also contains where do (usually) you play tennis !?
    Or only where do I pay is exception?

Copyright

American English
    She (usually )go to school > Does she go to school?

Like above " where do I pay " has present usage(habitual , recurring) ?

I hear that using present verb when recurring happen .
    While you can use the present tense of a verb to indicate a habitual action, present tense is not limited to that function. I think that's where your confusion is arising.

Where do I pay? This is a one-time question, because the next time you come to the store, you will pay in the same place unless they have changed the layout of the store.

These are all questions about a habitual action:
    Where do you go to school?
    Where do you play tennis?
    Where do you work?

nowherr

Chinese- China
    While you can use the present tense of a verb to indicate a habitual action, present tense is not limited to that function. I think that's where your confusion is arising.

Where do I pay? This is a one-time question, because the next time you come to the store, you will pay in the same place unless they have changed the layout of the store.

These are all questions about a habitual action:
    Where do you go to school?
    Where do you play tennis?
    Where do you work?
    Thank you for replying

I never heard about One time question. Please , give me more example as possible as you can?

Sorry ....my understanding is not good...

Copyright

American English
    No, they're one-time questions. You may pay in the same place in the same store next time, but when you ask the others, you will probably only ask them one time to fit the situation – you probably won't ask them again of the same person.

Bob: How old are you?
    Bill: Why do you ask?

Ted: Could I ask you a favor?
    Alice: What do you want?

nowherr

Chinese- China
    No, they're one-time questions. You may pay in the same place in the same store next time, but when you ask the others, you will probably only ask them one time to fit the situation – you probably won't ask them again of the same person.

Bob: How old are you?
    Bill: Why do you ask?

Ted: Could I ask you a favor?
    Alice: What do you want?
    Thank you so much :)

< Previous | Next >