where friendship is and where dependence is.

< Previous | Next >

space cowboy

Russian
You should realize where is friendship and where is dependence.

I am not sure about word order here, since i am not asking a question it should be something like:

You should realize where friendship is and where dependence is.

Is that correct? Is there a way to distinguish the difference in a more elegant way?

Thanks.

• variegatedfoliage

English - US
    The construction "you should realize where is friendship" is incorrect. While your second sentence is certainly an improvement, if you are looking for a better way of expressing the idea, I would suggest rephrasing it something like:

"You should recognize where friendship ends and where dependence starts" or simply "You should recognize the difference between friendship and dependence." To my mind realize is not quite the right verb.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with variegated for the most part, but I don't necessarily see it so black and white. I don't think "friendship" and "dependence" have to be mutually exclusive. In other words, they could overlap in certain relationships. In other, other words you could have a relationship based on 80% friendship, and 20% dependence. Just my opinion.

Therefore this sounds okay to me: You should realize where friendship is and where dependence is.

I guess it would depend on what you want to say more specifically, space cowboy.

< Previous | Next >