Where is the place...?

Junwei Guo

Chinese
Which one or ones sound natural?
I think that we can't end a sentence with a preposition and so 3 4 5 are wrong.
Is my reading correct?
Thanks!

upload_2017-5-9_10-41-38.png

• icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    I can imagine hearing all of them except (3): starting a clause with "which" I would expect a verb to follow, i.e. ...which produces insulin.

In formal writing you would probably want to use (1) or (2), because, yes, *technically* we shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition. In reality, many people do.

Junwei Guo

Chinese
    I can imagine hearing all of them except (3): starting a clause with "which" I would expect a verb to follow, i.e. ...which produces insulin.

In formal writing you would probably want to use (1) or (2), because, yes, *technically* we shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition. In reality, many people do.
    Thanks for your helping me. :)

Chinese Su

Chinese

Dear icecreamsoldier, I agree with everything you wrote :D

However, I don't think the last one (NO.6) is correct.

It seems to me that you neglected to read that one...

Do you mind reading it again? Thank you so much :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    They all seem clumsy to me, and I don't think "place" is appropriate if it means "organ of the body".

I would go for much simpler phrasing:

Where is X produced?
    Where in the body is X produced?

Chinese Su

Chinese
    They all seem clumsy to me, and I don't think "place" is appropriate if it means "organ of the body".

I would go for much simpler phrasing:

Where is X produced?
    Where in the body is X produced?
    I agree! Thank you so much for your explanation, velisarius :D

How about the following? Do you agree with me? Thank you :)

1. This was the place which we first met at/in. :tick: (acceptable but inelegant; sometimes is considered wrong)
    2. This was the place that we first met at/in. :tick: (acceptable but inelegant)
    3. This was the place Ø we first met at/in. :tick: (acceptable but inelegant)
    4. This was the place at/in which we first met. :tick:
    5. This was the place where we first met.:tick:
    6. This was where we first met. :tick:
    7. This place was where we first met.:tick:
    8. This was we first met. :cross:
    9. This place was we first met.:cross:

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    his was the place at/in which we first met.
    This one is correct, but many people people will consider it stilted or overly formal.

Sentence 6 sounds most natural to me.

Sentence 7 is overly wordy unless it's used in special contexts, such as when you are pointing to a picture or a map.

Chinese Su

Chinese
    1. This was the place which we first met at/in. :tick: (acceptable but inelegant; sometimes is considered wrong)
    2. This was the place that we first met at/in. :tick: (acceptable but inelegant)
    3. This was the place Ø we first met at/in. :tick: (acceptable but inelegant)
    4. This was the place at/in which we first met. :tick:
    5. This was the place where we first met.:tick:
    6. This was where we first met. :tick:
    7. This place was where we first met.:tick:
    8. This was we first met. :cross:
    9. This place was we first met.:cross:
    4. This was the place at/in which we first met. ... many people people :eek: will ...?

I highly appreciate your explanation (about Sentences 4, 6, and 7), Cagey! I've got a better picture now :D

What do you think about Statements A, B, C, and D? Thank you :)

A. Sentences 1-3 are acceptable but not preferred, because technically we shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition.

B. In particular, Sentence 1 might be frowned upon or considered wrong, because starting a clause with "which" people would expect a verb to follow.

C. Sentence 5 is fine, but Sentence 6 is more concise by leaving out "the place".

D. Sentences 8 and 9 are wrong, because "where" cannot be omitted.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >