where romantic images abound and analysts have vested interests

panview

Chinese
Hello,everyone.The following is from the book Perspectives on Higher Education: Eight Disciplinary and Comparative Views by Burton R. Clark (Editor),On p.5 it goes:

In short, even at this early stage, there are perspectives to be grasped and materials to be mastered. And there is still the need to separate as much as possible the descriptive and analytical from the normative, the "is" from the "ought to be," particularly in a realm where romantic images abound and analysts have vested interests.
I wonder the author means that the analysts (1)"having gained some benefits, and reluctant to analyze objectively", or (2) they "will analyze simply out of interest rather than objectively" . From the common meaning of "vested interests" I prefer (1), but affected by the previous "romantic images abound",I prefer (2).
Then which is correct,(1) or (2)?

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I don't see either as correct, I fear, Panview.

I think he's saying that it's hard to separate, in descriptions of university education, what is happening from what ought to be happening, particularly because the people who write about it are often trying to push particular causes, while many people have romantic notions about the purpose and practice of such education.

panview

Chinese
    particularly because the people who write about it are often trying to push particular causes, while many people have romantic notions about the purpose and practice of such education.
    Thank you.But I remain unclear about the meaning of "analysts have vested interests" here.

< Previous | Next >