Where should I put the adverbial phrase?

Yang

Taiwan /Traditional Chinese
I read an interesting thread, which is about how people all over the world call the machine that you use to get money from your account, in the cultural forum of WordReference forums the other day. The machine is known as ATM in Taiwan and is uaually in a wall outside a bank or a post office.

----
Could anybody please tell me if there is any posibilities to combine all the sentences above into one sentence? Thank you very much.

• GenJen54

USA - English
    Yang,

I am assuming you wish only to re-word the sentence about ATMs. Here's my attempt:

In Taiwain, the machine known as the ATM is usually found in a wall outside a bank or post office.

To simplify matters:

In Taiwan, ATMs are usually found mounted in walls outside banks or post offices.

Yang

Thank you, GenJen54.

But I would like to combine all those sentences into one sentence.
    Do you think that is possible?

GenJen54

USA - English
    I read an interesting thread, which is about how people all over the world call the machine that you use to get money from your account, in the cultural forum of WordReference forums the other day. The machine is known as ATM in Taiwan and is uaually in a wall outside a bank or a post office.
    My attempt(s) are below. To be honest, I think it would make for a very lengthy, if not awkward sentence, at best. You are trying to combine two complete thoughts, noted below, which should remain (in my opinion) separate.

Thought 1 = Interesting Thread
    Thought 2 = ATMs in Taiwan

I read an interesting thread in the cultural forum of WordReference Forums the other day concerning what people from all over the world call those machines, such as the ones found outside of banks or post offices in Taiwan, where people can access funds from their banking account.

While perusing the Word Reference Forums the other day, I read an interesting thread in the culture forum concerning the different names people from around the world have for the banking machines found outside of banks and post offices in Taiwan.

Yang

GenJen54 said:
    To be honest, I think it would make for a very lengthy, if not awkward sentence, at best. You are trying to combine two complete thoughts, noted below, which should remain (in my opinion) separate.
    GenJen54, you are right. It's not a good idea to combine all of them into one. :) Thank you so much, I will take your advice and learn from the examples you gave as well.

Actually, I was inspired by a very good compound sentence:The literature of that world, which, whether or not we are acquainted with it, still underlies many of our institutions, attitudes, and thought, was written in three languages--Hebrew, Greek, and Latin.

Oh, I love this sentence, which is combined so well that made me want to combine sentences.

< Previous | Next >