...where the most likely places <were> for aliens to inhabit <were>...

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Source:

Youtube video [Name: 'Mysterious Activity On Saturn's Moon Titan Baffles Scientists 3/6/16'; Time: '7:33']

Sample sentence:

So, if I had to guess, in our solar system, where are the most likely places for aliens to inhabit, I would say...

Question:

Is the underlined part direct speech? If I were to convert the underlined part into reported speech, would the sample sentence read as follows?

[1] So, if I had to guess, in our solar system, where the most likely places for aliens to inhabit were, I would say...

[2] So, if I had to guess, in our solar system, where the most likely places were for aliens to inhabit, I would say...

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    So, if I had to guess, in our solar system, where are the most likely places for aliens to inhabit, I would say... :cross: I do not wish to generalise, but anyone who thinks that aliens are on living in the solar system is not going to speak the best English.

............."So, if I had..........to guess where, in our solar system, the most likely places to be inhabited by aliens are,....I.........would say..." :tick:

"He said that if he had had to guess where, in our solar system, the most likely places to be inhabited by aliens were, he would have said..."

< Previous | Next >