where the North Koreans have a diplomatic mission to the U.N.

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"He'll be the highest-level North Korean official to come to the U.S. in 18 years. He's on a U.S. sanctions list, so Kim Yong Chol needed a special waiver to go to New York, where the North Koreans have a diplomatic mission to the U.N. Michele Kelemen, NPR News, the State Department."

what does "New York, where the North Koreans have a diplomatic mission to the U.N." mean?

The preposition "to" is confusing me. North Koreans have a mission in NY, which is given by the U.N.? Even if so, it doesn't come intuitive that NK could have any mission from the U.N., which is an official international pariash.

source: North Korea Sends Senior Official To New York To Plan For Summit

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    One country has an ambassador to another. North Korea presumably does not have an ambassador to the USA, but it is a UN member so it has a representative office for that, a 'diplomatic mission' to the UN, and this is of course in New York at UN headquarters.

nagomi

Korean
    One country has an ambassador to another. North Korea presumably does not have an ambassador to the USA, but it is a UN member so it has a representative office for that, a 'diplomatic mission' to the UN, and this is of course in New York at UN headquarters.
    Does mission have another meaning in diplomacy?

1. an important assignment carried out for political, religious, or commercial purposes, typically involving travel.
    2. the vocation or calling of a religious organization, especially a Christian one, to go out into the world and spread its faith.

these two are what I know, and I can't relate either of them to what you're descrfibing, sorry.

< Previous | Next >