where there was not so easy a stereotype, ...

< Previous | Next >

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Greeting dear friends,

I have read the red sentence so many times, but I couldn't get its meaning, so your help is very appreciated.

"Lola was uneasy and drank her tea too hot. This complaining about Muslim birth rates was vulgar and incorrect among the class that reads Jane Austen, and she sensed Mrs.Sen's talk revealed her own position on Nepalis, where there was not so easy a stereotype, to be not so very different a prejudice."

I shall explain that Lola, an Indian educated woman, do not like Nepalis, and she always criticizes them with prejudice, Mrs Sen, a low class woman, also do not like Muslims and have the same prejudice against them.
Hope this helps.

It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel byKiran Desai.

Best Regards, and many thanks

• owlman5

English-US
    I think this means that it is not as common or easy for people of Lola's nationality, whatever it is, to be prejudiced about Nepalis as they are about Muslims. She considered his remarks about Muslims to be vulgar and incorrect, yet they make her uncomfortably aware of her own prejudices about Nepalis.

Last edited:

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    Thank you so much, dear Owlman.:) So according to your idea, I can translate this sentence like this: where speaking about stereotype things is not easy, having prejudice against something is hard too.

owlman5

English-US
    You're quite welcome, Maryam. :) I think you might be a little closer to the original if your translation said something like this: ...her own thoughts about Nepalis, who weren't as easy to stereotype, wasn't very different from his prejudice.

Of course, you'll know far better than I how to turn this into idiomatic Farsi if that's the target language in your translation.

PS You're also quite welcome, Paul Q. I'm glad my feeble thoughts on the subject were of some use to you. :)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Miss Sen’s complaining about Muslim birth rates was unpleasant. Lola then saw that she was similarly prejudiced against Nepalis. The lesson from this is – other people’s prejudices make us realise our own prejudices.

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    You're quite welcome, Maryam. :) I think you might be a little closer to the original if your translation said something like this: ...her own thoughts about Nepalis, who weren't as easy to stereotype, wasn't very different from his prejudice.

Of course, you'll know far better than I how to turn this into idiomatic Farsi if that's the target language in your translation.

PS You're also quite welcome, Paul Q. I'm glad my feeble thoughts on the subject were of some use to you. :)
    Again many thanks! so where refers to Nepalis! I didn't realize that! I have thought "where" refers to Lola's social class., that was a mistake.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >