Where to place the word "being" here?

Why Not?

German
Hi All,

where should I put the word being ? (Or are both suggestions incorrect?)

... and, being the writing system of their mother tongue “structured in a very different manner than are the corresponding European systems” (Feuser, 2007, p. 2), it was not to be taken for granted that ...

or

... and, the writing system of their mother tongue being “structured in a very different manner than are the corresponding European systems” (Feuser, 2007, p. 2), it was not to be taken for granted that ...

???

Thanks in advance,
Why Not?

• Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    Hi All,

where should I put the word being ? (Or are both suggestions incorrect?)

... and, being the writing system of their mother tongue “structured in a very different manner than are the corresponding European systems” (Feuser, 2007, p. 2), it was not to be taken for granted that ...

or

... and, the writing system of their mother tongue being “structured in a very different manner than are the corresponding European systems” (Feuser, 2007, p. 2), it was not to be taken for granted that ...

???

Thanks in advance,
    Why Not?

I'd guess the first is probably the correct one but I'd want to read the preceding words of the entire sentence before making any definite decision.

Why Not?

German
    I'd guess the first is probably the correct one but I'd want to read the preceding words of the entire sentence before making any definite decision.

Thanks, Joobs!

Well, sorry, didn't think the beginning was relevant. It is:

This was due to the fact that the participants had learned respectively were learning German as a second language ...

Trisia

Romanian
    In this case, "being" goes after "the writing system of their mother tongue." I would also delete "are" before "the corresponding European systems."

Why Not?

German
    In this case, "being" goes after "the writing system of their mother tongue." I would also delete "are" before "the corresponding European systems."

Thanks, Trisia!

Is it even wrong to put the "are" where I put it?

Thanks again in advance!

Why Not?

Trisia

Romanian
    This was due to the fact that the participants had learned respectively were learning German as a second language and, the writing system of their mother tongue being “structured in a very different manner than are the corresponding European systems” (Feuser, 2007, p. 2), it was not to be taken for granted that ...

Here's my opinion (just an opinion):
    1. Would you please take another look at the underlined part? It would make more sense to me if you put a comma before "respectively." I'd personally use "or," like this: had either learned or were learning) but that's just me.

2. The verb "are" is not necessarily wrong. I simply wouldn't use it. The sentence makes sense without it and it's certainly long enough not to need extra words.