where you <could> dine only if you <get invited> by the owner.

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
In my other thread, I used this sentence for contextual information and I have a question about it.

Context: Henry gets an invitation for two to the most exclusive steakhouse where you could dine only if you get invited by the owner.

Is it correct the way I used "could" together with "get invited"? Or should it have been "got invited" i.e "where you could dine only if you got invited by the owner."?

• Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    Thank you.

But was my version wrong?
    Context: Henry gets an invitation for two to the most exclusive steakhouse where you could dine only if you get invited by the owner.
    Because for some reason it doesn't sound that bad to me.

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    Then it at least should have been like this where they agree, right?
    Context: Henry gets an invitation for two to the most exclusive steakhouse where you could dine only if you got invited by the owner.
    Is the whole sentence idiomatic now?

The Newt

English - US
    I'm sorry but could you please show me all of the correct sequences using the sentence itself because I can't figure it out?
    Only the following are correct, in my opinion:

Henry gets an invitation for two to the most exclusive steakhouse, where you can dine only if you get invited by the owner.
    Henry got an invitation for two to the most exclusive steakhouse, where you could dine only if you got invited by the owner.

I've added a comma in the middle, by the way.

< Previous | Next >