whereas

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
“Some people like meat with much fat in it whereas others hate it.”

Whereas = on the contrary? As opposed to?
  • Some people like meat with much fat in it. On the contrary, others hate it.
  • Some people like meat with much fat in it, as opposed to meat without fat.
Thanks.

• suzi br

English / England
    I think both of your glosses look fine, tho if you need to choose between them, I'd opt for the second one.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Mimi,

On the contrary doesn't mean whereas. It means what has just been said is not true:

e.g.
    A. You like meat, I know.
    B. On the contrary, I hate it.

Some people like meat with much fat in it. On the contrary, others hate it. :cross:

It should be:
    Some people like meat with much fat in it. On the other hand, others hate it.:tick:

Some people like meat with much fat in it, as opposed to meat without fat.:tick:

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you very much for helping me.
    Thank you, Thomas, for your explanation.
    I appreciate all your kind help.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It's interesting that some dictionaries translate whereas to mean while on the contrary.

I wonder if that is right in AE. To my BE ear it just sounds wrong.

I was relieved to find that a lot of other dictionaries translate it as while on the other hand, which seems to me correct.

sound shift

English - England
    I agree with Thomas that "whereas" cannot be replaced with "on the contrary" in mimi2's first sentence:

"Some people like meat with a lot of fat on it. On the contrary, others hate it." :cross:
    "Some people like meat with a lot of fat on it. Others, by contrast, hate it." :tick:
    "Some people like meat with a lot of fat on it, while others hate it." :tick:
    "Some people like meat with a lot of fat on it, but others hate it." :tick:
    "Some people like meat with a lot of fat on it, whereas others hate it." :tick:

< Previous | Next >