wherefore should you jog in an urban transport?

< Previous | Next >

Ptak

Rußland
Could someone please check these sentences?

- I'll go there by a tram.
- Oh, wherefore should you jog/ be jolted in an urban transport? Allow me to give you a ride, by a personal car!

I suppose that "wherefore should you" should have some rhetorical nuance, has it? In the sense "oh, don't do that".
Does one of "jog" or "be jolted" fit here? Could you please correct my sentences if they are understandable, but sound bad.
Thanks in advance!

• sasho

English - United Kingdom
    Hi Ptak.

Where is this from? It doesn't make much sense/sounds very odd I'm afraid.

- I'll go (there) by tram.

jog means to run so doesn't work here.
    Urban transport = public transport
    personal car = my own car?

sethmachine

Banned
    English-US
    Could someone please check these sentences?

- I'll go there by tram.
    - Oh, why would you take urban transport? Allow (let) me to give you ride in my [own] car
    I suppose that "wherefore should you" should have some rhetorical nuance, wouldn't it? In the sense "oh, don't do that".
    Does "jog" or "be jolted" fit there? Could you please correct my sentences if they are (be) understandable, but sound bad.
    Thanks in advance!
    Wherefore is incredibley rare in conversation (non-existant where I speak English) and you should never use it (it is an archaism). Jogging and jolting are rarely used in idiomatic expressions or as phrasal verbs. The parenthesis indicate possible replacements for the words chosen. The brackets means that you can add it with the other word. You generally use let more than allow. If you use allow, you will sound more 'formal'/set a different connotation.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "Wherefore?" means "Why?", but it is not used in common conversation any more; it is instead very literary and archaic in tone. One might expect one character in a play by Shakespeare to ask another "Wherefore art thou unhappy?", but it would sound very strange to hear "Wherefore....?" coming from the mouth of anyone born less than two hundred years ago!

Ptak

Rußland
    Hi, sasho.
    I'm sorry and ashamed, but it's from my head :)
    I'm trying to correct some subs so it's a scene from a movie.
    A man offers to a woman to give her a lift and he suggests her not to go by public transport.
    What I was trying to say with "jog/be jolted" should actually mean sort of "to feel discomfort of a public transport".
    Does it help just a bit?...

Ptak

Rußland
    I see other replies now, thanks.
    So is it impossible to say something for "to feel discomfort of a public transport", could it be only just "take"?

P.S. Thanks, the_del_star :)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    - I'll go there by a tram.
    - Oh, wherefore should you jog/ be jolted in an urban transport? Allow me to give you a ride, by a personal car!

Converting this to idiomatic, modern AE:

—I'll go there by tram. (or...I'll take the tram there.)
    —Why get bounced around in a tram? Let me give you a ride in my car!

< Previous | Next >