"Where's the best place in the world to live?" - "With you, anywhere/everywhere."

lux_

Hallo everyone, I'd need the sentence in the subject (with you, everywhere is the best place to live) translated in German.

It should be an aswer to a similar sentence, and it's addressed to a girl (a little difficult giving "background" without giving "personal information" though :p ).

So, ok, don't laugh, I'll try go translate it by myself now:

"mit dir, wo immer ist die besser Stelle zu leben".

• Toadie

English
    Du sollst aber warten, bis ein Muttersprachler etwas vorschlägt. Keiner von uns, die auf die Frage geantwortet haben haben Deutsch als unsere Muttersprache.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Ciao lux_, io direi: Mit dir ist überall der beste Ort zum Leben.

Zum Beispiel:

A: Wo ist der beste Ort zum Leben?
    B: Mit dir... überall. / Wenn ich mit dir bin, dann überall.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Todies and Brians suggestion both sound fine to me.

@Todie: As in Brian's sentence, you should say "zum Leben" and not "zu leben". I can't explain why. Maybe "ein guter/besserer/bester Ort zum ..." is just a set phrase.

Tifoso Bonisolli

German - Austria
    It's preferable, for reasons of style, to change clause position in Todie's translation: Wo auch immer Du bist, dort ist der beste Platz zum Leben. As a rule, you'd better avoid postponing wo (auch) immer, wer (auch) immer and so on.

In alternative - depending, however, on the addressed person's background! - it might be nice not to translate the sentence literally, but to say it in the words of an old-fashioned late 19th century art song:
    Wo Du hingehst, da will auch ich hingehen,
    wo Du bleibst, da bleibe auch ich.
    As I said, different words, but basically the same meaning.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Just for the record, the sentence (as is) does not sound very natural to me in English either. The only way it would sound natural is if it were the answer to the question, "Where is the best place to live?", presumably asked by the girl/guy with whom you could live anywhere.

That's why I gave the example scenario of "Where's the best place in the world to live?" - "With you, anywhere/everywhere."

Spharadi

Spanish
    Wo du nicht bist, kann ich nicht sein (taken from the operette "the land of smiles")
    It expresses more or less what you want to say

Derselbe

Deutsch, German, ドイツ語
    So far, all the suggestions here sound odd to me as does the original English sentence.
    I think we should separate two scenarios.

1. You want to answer a question (e.g. Where is your favorite place to live?):
    Here an idiomatic conversation could run like this:
    A: Wo würdest Du am liebsten wohnen/leben?
    B: Wo immer Du bist!

2. You want to know a sentence that fits any occasion.
    That'd be something like:
    Wo Du bist, will ich auch sein.
    Wo Du bist, fühle ich mich zuhause.
    Mit Dir ist es überall am schönsten.
    More poetic (slightly ridiculous :)):
    Der schönste Ort auf Erden ist an Deiner Seit'.

Anyway, if you provide more context, we might be able to narrow it down a little.

< Previous | Next >