wherever or whichever

monkeyaug

Banned
korean
I think in the follwoing sentence ' wherever' is also possible, but my answer sheets says it is wrong. Why? When do you use whichever and wherever?

Should we go to the beach or the countryside this weekend?

_____________ you like.

a. wherever b whichever

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Wherever" is grammatically correct in the sentence "W...ever you like," but it has a different meaning.

"Wherever" means we can go to any place you want (within any constraints of time, distance, cost, etc., that may be understood).

"Whichever" refers specifically to the previously stated choices.

So, since the question specified a list of choices, "whichever" is a better answer to it.

ribran

English - American
    I think in the follwoing sentence ' wherever' is also possible, but my answer sheets says it is wrong. Why? When do you use whichever and wherever?

Should we go to the beach or the countryside this weekend?

_____________ you like.

a. wherever b whichever
    To me, wherever says, "We can go to the beach, the country, or somewhere else. It's up to you."

Whichever says, "We can go to the beach or the country. You choose."

That's just my opinion. :)

Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    I think that is a subtle difference, but in general I would use "wherever" if there is no specific set of options from which the person must choose.

Where should we go? Wherever you like.
    Wherever he is, he brings bad luck.

But in this case, there are definite possibilites - beach or country- so you could slightly prefer to use "whichever."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >