Which antonym is better for 'afraid', 'brave' or 'confident'

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,
Question:
Which antonym is better for 'afraid', 'brave' or 'confident'? I personally think that 'brave' is better.
Context:
He was dirty, hungry, tired, and afraid.
Question:
Did he look brave/confident?
No, he didn't. He was afraid.

Thanks in advance.

• sdgraham

USA English
    "Brave" in not an antonym for "afraid."

A brave person might be afraid, but overcomes it.

It would be folly, for example, to assume that the brave soldiers who faced each other in close combat in the Napoleonic wars were unafraid.

"Unafraid" is your best choice.

Last edited:

estoy_lerniendo

English - U.S. (Midwest)
    "Unafraid" is your best choice, but "courageous" works.
    A courageous soldier can still be afraid, i.e., to go by some definitions, (s)he can face and deal with danger or fear without flinching (courageous) while still being filled with said fear (afraid)... just not incapacitated by it.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    What's the context?

When I suggested "confident" (in a different thread) as an antonym for "afraid," I was thinking of something like "I'm not ever afraid when speaking in public. Instead, I'm very confident in that situation."

What are we being "afraid" of here?

Andygc

British English
    If you can't explain your context in the thread, you can't expect sensible answers. Please provide all of the information required to enable members to answer your questions. To do otherwise is discourteous and undervalues the kindness of forum members offering their time to help you.

Andygc, moderator

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello Andygc,
    I really didn't wish to be discourteous at all. Quite the opposite, I didn't do it just because of rule#4. The one about intellectual property. In order to understand the context 4 or 5 short paragraphs were needed.
    My apologies and respect to all the forum members.

TL

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I might suggest that "giving context" and "providing more text" are not the same. You can tell us what this character is afraid of (and why he's dirty, why he's tired, etc.) without citing any more text.

Conversely, you can cite a lot more text without providing answers to those important questions. We need to know why, how, and of what the character is afraid to figure out what a good antonym would be.

< Previous | Next >