Which have contributed to confusion as much as to clarity

< Previous | Next >

Jin akashini

vietnamese
Hi every one,

I would like to ask you the meaning of "which have contributed to confusion as much as to clarity" in this context. I understand "confusion" and "clarity" but can not understand the meaning of the whole clause. Can you give me a clearer explanation.

"TIMSS (Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study) has developed powerful datasets for analysis. However, for research on the impact of private supplementary tutoring, TIMSS has had shortcomings, which have contributed to confusion as much as to clarity (Bray2010: 5)."

The sentence is drawn from a document named "The impact of shadow education on student academic achievement: Why the research is inconclusive and what can be done about it". And below is the link for your more information.

The impact of shadow education on student academic achievement: Why the research is inconclusive and what can be done about it.

Thanks,

• Jin akashini

vietnamese
    Sorry I don't get your point, so the words "which" here represents for what ? ( shortcomings or TIMSS?)
    Whether the phrase "confusion as much as to clarity" means "shortcomings of TIMSS confuse and clarify research on the impact of private supplementary tutoring ? Sound weird !

DaylightDelight

Japanese - Tokyo
    Yes, this "which" refers to "shortcomings".
    And yes, since you mentioned, it does sound odd that this shortcomings contributed to both confusion and clarity.
    I think it'd be more logical if the phrase was "which have contributed to confusion rather than to clarity."
    I believe the gist is "TIMSS as a whole contributed to clarity, but its shortcomings contributed to confusion"

< Previous | Next >