...which I have a hard time fastening its buttons..

Vjean

filipino
This is the dress which I have a hard time fastening its buttons on the back.

Could the structure of this sentence be grammatically accepted? It seems as if the two pronouns are creating an uncomfortable issue, which I can't specifically word out. Many thanks in advance guys.

• owlman5

English-US
    No. You need to add the preposition "to" before "which". I think the possessive adjective "its" is needless. I would replace "its" with "the": This is the dress to which I have a hard time fastening the buttons on the back.

Elwintee

England English
    No. You need to add the preposition "to" before "which". I think the possessive adjective "its" is needless. I would replace "its" with "the": This is the dress to which I have a hard time fastening the buttons on the back.
    That suggestion sounds wrong to me. I think I would say "This is the dress with buttons which I find hard to fasten on the back".

owlman5

English-US
    That suggestion sounds wrong to me. I think I would say "This is the dress with buttons which I find hard to fasten on the back".
    Your version sounds OK to me, Elwintee, even though my version sounds wrong to you. I can live with that, however. :)

e2efour

UK English
    I don't particularly like the use of to. People normally fasten the buttons on/of a dress when they put it on.

But I find it more natural not to use a preposition before the relative pronoun, as in Elwintee's suggestion..
    To make it closer to the original, one can write: This the dress with buttons that I have a hard time fastening at the back.

Elwintee

England English
    I don't particularly like the use of to. People normally fasten the buttons on/of a dress when they put it on.

But I find it more natural not to use a preposition before the relative pronoun, as in Elwintee's suggestion..
    To make it closer to the original, one can write: This the dress with buttons that I have a hard time fastening at the back.
    I think you've solved it, E2. I hope I didn't sound rude to you, Owlman. It seems we've all been having a hard time making this sentence sound right! Just one typo, E2: This is the dress with buttons ...

e2efour

UK English
    Thank for pointing out the typo, Elwintee. :)

It occurs to me that it is possible to fasten buttons to a dress in the sense of sewing them on, although I don't think that this was the meaning of the original.

owlman5

English-US
    I think you've solved it, E2. I hope I didn't sound rude to you, Owlman. It seems we've all been having a hard time making this sentence sound right! Just one typo, E2: This is the dress with buttons ...
    You didn't sound rude at all, Elwintee. Those who can't handle a little disagreement from time to time have no business in a language forum.

Forero

The relative pronoun which needs to have a function within its own clause, but "I have a hard time fastening its buttons on the back" is a complete clause and has no place for another pronoun.

I would combine which and its into something relative that modifies buttons:

This is the dress whose buttons I have a hard time fastening on the back.
    This is the dress on which the back buttons are hard to fasten.

Vjean

filipino
    The relative pronoun which needs to have a function within its own clause, but "I have a hard time fastening its buttons on the back" is a complete clause and has no place for another pronoun.

I would combine which and its into something relative that modifies buttons:

This is the dress whose buttons I have a hard time fastening on the back.
    This is the dress on which the back buttons are hard to fasten.
    Thanks a lot guys. Right Forero, it's the clashing of the pronouns that is causing an issue here.

Thanks a lot again to everyone.

< Previous | Next >