If you did not decide where to stay tonight, and someone asked you,
"Which motel are you going to stay?"
and you answered,
"I haven't decided yet."
or
"I didn't decide yet."

I haven't decided yet, means you do not have the place to stay,
but if you say,
I did not decide yet, means you now have somewhere to stay.

Does it make sense?

• owlman5

English-US
    I would understand both answers to mean that the speaker has not yet chosen a motel. Hearing "I didn't decide yet" wouldn't cause me to believe that the speaker is staying somewhere now. The speaker would need to tell me something else before I got that idea.

Ms Missy

USA English
    tomonori, Yes your question does make sense although I feel that either of your examples would suffice as far as getting your point across. Perhaps someone else will be able to detect a subtle difference and pass it along.

Ms Missy

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If you did not decide had not decided where to stay tonight, and someone asked you, "Which motel are you going to stay at?" and you answered, "I haven't decided yet" or "I didn't decide yet":

"I haven't decided yet" means you do not have the a place to stay,
    but if you say, "I did not decide yet," it means you now have somewhere to stay.

Does it make sense?

Sorry, Tomonori, no.

The present perfect tense ("I haven't decided") does mean what you say it means: that until (and including) now, there has been no decision by you as to where you will stay. You're correct there.

Simple past tense ("I did not decide") refers to some point in the past, so it cannot be used with "yet". And it says nothing about whether or not you now have somewhere to stay. It says nothing about the present at all. It says only that at some time in the past, you didn't make a decision.

Examples of how the simple past might be used correctly: I didn't decide yesterday where I would stay tonight; I waited until today to decide. Or, I didn't decide until today where to stay tonight. Or, I didn't decide yesterday where I would stay tonight, and I still have not decided.