Which kid was taken away first?

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello:

When my kid's kindergarten is out, the parents go into the classroom one by one to take their children home. Only one parent is allowed to go into the classroom at a time, so some kids have to wait longer until their parents come.

I asked my daughter this evening:
Which kid was taken away the first in your class when the kindergarten was out?

1. Is it good to use "was taken away" here?
I want to use the passive tone and I don't want to say the kid was picked up, because most kids walked home with their parents, it also has the sexual connotation.

2. Is it correct to use "first" instead of "the first"?
I think "first" is an adverb here, "the first" is incorrect here.

Thank you.

(Sorry to ask two questions of the same phrase)

• The Newt

English - US
    I would probably use "Which kid was picked up first?," even if they're walking home. There's no danger of mistaking it as having a sexual connotation. "Taken away," on the other hand, could suggest kidnapping.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with Newt and Joan that "picked up" would be the common phrase in AE. It's used all the time to refer to parents picking up their young kids from school. And "taken away" does suggest kidnapping.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I agree with Newt and Joan that "picked up" would be the common phrase in AE. It's used all the time to refer to parents picking up their young kids from school.
    In BrE also.

And in the context of children, "taken away" does indeed sound like something done by a kidnapper, or perhaps by Social Services.

Ws

< Previous | Next >