Which <library branch> did you drop off the books at?

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently thinking of how to translate the sentence "Which library branch did you drop off the books at?".
Would anyone know what a "library branch" is called in Chinese? Would it be a 图书馆分部? (In Canada, libraries often have many locations within a city)

Thanks! :)

(I thought I might have asked a similar question before but couldn't find it on here!)

Last edited:
  • yuechu

Canada, English
    OK! Thanks, hx1997! :)

How about "to drop off"? I couldn't find a suitable translation for it in the Wordreference dictionary.

T.D

mandarin
    I'm assuming that you were referring to the fact that books are kept in different zones (on different shelves) within a library. (like in Shawshank Redemption, Red suggested putting the Count of Monte Cristo under Educational because it was a book about a prison break)
    If that's what you are talking about, (and if <drop off> means what I thought it means, to put something at), I will say 区。 你把这本书放在图书馆的哪个区了?

Ghabi

Cantonese
    How about "to drop off"?
    In Hong Kong (I think) we just say 還書 whether you return it face-to-face or simply drop it into a box; and a "book drop" is known as 還書箱.

"Which library branch did you drop off the books at?"

Cantonese: 你晌邊間圖書館還咗啲書呀? lei5 hoeng2 bin1 gaan1 tou4syu1gun2 waan4 zo2 di1 syu1 aa3?

Mandarin (???): 书你都在哪一间图书馆还了?

Last edited:

AquisM

English - mostly BrE, HK Cantonese
    Yeah, I agree with Ghabi and would just use 还书 "to return the book". I don't think "drop off" translates very well.

Perhaps 你把书还到哪个图书馆了?

yuechu

Canada, English
    re: drop off
    Oh, I meant it here to refer to returning the books to the library (possibly by putting them in the library return chute), that's right.
    re: 区
    Oh ok! I think we would call these "sections" (of the library) in English.

Thank you all for your help! :)

Last edited: