,which many explain [preposition]

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
Topic : which's preposition in a clause ', which many explain why...'

• An estimated three billion people worldwide use unprocessed fuels, like animal dung, wood, and crop waste to heat their homes and to cook. Not only do these types of fuels burn less cleanly compared to processed energy sources, but they are also often used in poorly ventilated rooms and huts. Consequently, people are inhaling dangerous amounts of pollutants daily, which many explain why there are around 4.3 million premature deaths from respiratory diseases every year. (Source : Korean Government employee test)
Hi, members.

It seems, to me, that 'which' refers to the clause followed ', which...'. But I don't know how ', which' works exactly in its clause. I just feel necessity of which's preposition. And I guess it would be best if it is with the preposition, 'with'.

So, to me, this version sounds better than original version for test.
  • Consequently, people are inhaling... , with which many explain why there're around ...
But before writing this thread, I found some articles including the phrase ', which many explain why...'.

Considering the fact there're some articles including the phrase, I guess there're some points I've been missing.

Would you mind telling me your opinion?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Hmmm... You are valiantly trying to make sense of a mistake. It should be

Consequently, people are inhaling dangerous amounts of pollutants daily, which many may explain why there are around 4.3 million premature deaths from respiratory diseases every year. (Source : Korean Government employee test)

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    Hmmm... You are valiantly trying to make sense of a mistake. It should be

Consequently, people are inhaling dangerous amounts of pollutants daily, which many may explain why there are around 4.3 million premature deaths from respiratory diseases every year. (Source : Korean Government employee test)
    Hi, PaulQ.

Haha, I also thought like you at the first moment. But a lecturer, who's of some private educational institute, says many refers to common people in his video.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >