Which of the throws is not <done?> using legs? [football/soccer terminology]

RafaelX

Polish
Should I use "done", "made" or maybe "performed" in the sentence: "Which of the throws is not done/made/performed using legs?" Huh, I've just come up with another question - maybe..."with the use of legs"?

• RafaelX

Polish
    Hmmm, you are right! I've made a direct translation and it sounds bad! Sorry. Let me put it differently... "Which of the below is not done/made/performed using legs?" Which of these three words should I use? (the context being a football match).

RafaelX

Polish
    On the other hand, there is a "free throw", which as we know is not done using hands! :D So I was not so wrong after all...was I? :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thank you. The revision and explanation are very helpful. :)

What kind of options are given? That is, the answer may depend on the categories given.

Added: Cross-posted. I would have thought that a 'free throw' was done using the hands, but I am not familiar with the language used to discuss football/soccer. :eek:

RafaelX

Polish
    Well, it's not an exercise or anything like that - I'm supposed to prepare a test for a contest and I'm trying to invent flawless questions, so that they won't sound ridiculously. I want to give them (the people taking part in the contest) 4 options here: a penalty, a free throw, a corner and an out. I don't know whether it helps, but here they are. :)

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    OK I think I understand what you mean.
    Out of the following options
    - a penalty
    - a throw-in
    - a corner
    - ?? (I don't know what you mean by an 'out' :confused: Perhaps a goalkick?

which does not involve using the legs?
    (Answer - the throw-in which uses the arms)

Is this what you mean?

(I agree with Cagey, a throw-in uses the hands!!)

RafaelX

Polish
    Yes, "out" is what we (in Poland) call a throw-in, I forgot that it's a throw-in in English...sorry.

It's exactly what I mean, thank you so much Bevj!

RafaelX

Polish
    You are right pob14, I need to put something less ambiguous (than a free throw), instead. On the other hand, they (the contestants) will know that I mean the free throw made in football, because the question will be given under the "football" category. :) Btw. should I say "under" or "in" the category?

pob14

American English
    You mean, as in: "In football, out of the options given below..." ?
    Something like that, yes. Or, "Which of the following football plays . . . ." (Are they called plays? As I said, I don't know soccer.)

Oh, and I just noticed that there are categories, and this will be in the "football" category. Don't know how I overlooked that part of your earlier post. I'll shut up now.

< Previous | Next >