which one is correct ?

lovelylaie

Hindi
es ist meine Schuld, dass dir es vergessen hast. / es ist meine Schuld, dass du es vergessen hast. considering ( vergessen etw.akk) / Is there a list of all transitive verbs in the German language?

• Kajjo

Es ist meine Schuld, dass du es vergessen hast.
    So ist es richtig. As you mentioned correctly the verb is "etwas vergessen". So the subject is in nominative case and the object in accusative case.

Ich vergesse etwas.

Ich habe etwas vergessen.
    Ich habe ihn vergessen.
    Ich habe vergessen, dass wir uns verabredet hatten. <object clause>

You mention accusative case yourself, but then suggest a dative "dir". This does not seem consistent.

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Is there a list of all transitive verbs in the German language?
    lovelylaie did not write the (wrong) dative ''dir'' instead of the accusative, but rather instead of the nominative (subject).

"a list of all transitive verbs" - what for?
    The subjects of "vergessen" and other verbs are the same, whether they are transitive or not.

Last edited:

lovelylaie

Hindi
    Actually, lovelylaie did not write the (wrong) dative ''dir'' instead of the accusative, but rather instead of the nominative (subject). The accusative object is there (''es'') in the OP sentence.
    I am actually still confused. could you explain a bit more about your comment? i did not understand what to use / Thank you

bearded

dass dir es vergessen hast :cross: . / dass du es vergessen hast:tick:
    For the subject of a verb the nominative case must be used (''du'' is correct).<----
    ''Dir'' means ''to you'' and cannot be used in this sentence.

...that you have forgotten it = ..dass du es vergessen hast.
    ''It'' = ''es'' (the object).

Is it clear now?

Last edited:

lovelylaie

Hindi
    For the subject of a verb the nominative case must be used (''du'' is correct).<----
    ''Dir'' means ''to you'' and cannot be used in this sentence.

...that you have forgotten it = ..dass du es vergessen hast.
    ''It'' = ''es'' (the object).

Is it clear now?
    Thank you so much , i have two questions, considering vergessen etw.akk should not we use Duch ? like here in this sentence ( Magste mir mal zeigen was da abgeht ) considering zeigen etw.akk should not we use Mich ? So sorry that is my last question Thank you again

bearded

considering vergessen etw.akk should not we use Duch ?
    I have forgotten you > ich habe dich vergessen (here 'you' is the object, so 'dich' in accusative case)
    ..mir mal zeigen, was da abgeht > ''mir'' means ''to me'' (show to me: dative case): the object in accusative is ''was...''.

You should consider the function of the pronouns (direct/indirect object, subject etc.) and choose the proper case.