Which one is right ( going to or will )

Mohasword

Arabic
Hi
In the following examples, which one is right and what is the difference between them:
Liverpool's players are known to be skilled. They will win the match easily
Or
Liverpool's players are known to be skilled. They are going to win the match easily.

Last edited:
  • Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    When you ask "which one is right", there is an implication that the other one is wrong, but that is not the case. Both are right (*). Often one is better because it's more natural, and that's usually the on with "going to", but in this example there is not enough context to support that choice.

(*) Strictly speaking, both are wrong because the comma is the wrong connector to use here. You could use a semicolon or a dash, but it's probably best simply to make it two separate sentences (i.e. use a full stop): ..be skilled. They...

Also note that, as with full stops, we do not put a space before a comma:
    Wrong , wrong .
    Right, right.

Mohasword

Arabic
    When you ask "which one is right", there is an implication that the other one is wrong, but that is not the case. Both are right (*). Often one is better because it's more natural, and that's usually the on with "going to", but in this example there is not enough context to support that choice.

(*) Strictly speaking, both are wrong because the comma is the wrong connector to use here. You could use a semicolon or a dash, but it's probably best simply to make it two separate sentences (i.e. use a full stop): ..be skilled. They...

Also note that, as with full stops, we do not put a space before a comma:
    Wrong , wrong .
    Right, right.
    I am sorry there is a full stop
    This was a question in my English test So there should be only one right answer between the two sentences

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You have edited #1 to change the commas to full stops, but there is still (incorrectly) a space before them, and you need to change they to They.

I have a slight preference for the "will" version here, but would not consider the "are going to" one wrong.
    Did the test question actually ask "Which one is right" or "Which one is better"?

hana.nazier

Arabic-English
    You have edited #1 to change the commas to full stops, but there is still (incorrectly) a space before them, and you need to change they to They.

I have a slight preference for the "will" version here, but would not consider the "are going to" one wrong.
    Did the test question actually ask "Which one is right" or "Which one is better"?

They asked which one is correct. Teachers and students have all split between choosing 'will' and 'going to.'

Those who chose 'going to' say it's because they consider it a thought with evidence (known to be skilled)
    While those who chose 'will win' say that it should not be considered evidence if it's not something seen by the naked eye.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It's just a bad test question. There is no rule that prefers one over the other on the basis of "thought with evidence".
    Besides, how do we know the other team is not also skilled? :)

< Previous | Next >