which one is the main verb?

thuhoai

Vietnam
Hi everyone,

Following sentences from NYtimes

Israel entered its latest conflict with Hamas armed with a high-tech arsenal, real-time battlefield intelligence and strong domestic support for dealing a heavy blow to Hamas.But again on Friday, Israeli forces were taken by surprise, this time with two soldiers killed and one taken prisoner when militants once again attacked from a tunnel in Gaza
My concern is whether "entered" or "armed" is main verb.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/02/world/middleeast/an-old-playbook-leaves-israel-unready-for-hamass-tunnel-war-.html?_r=0

Thanks,

• sambullock002

english-
    I agree with the 2 posts above. "entered" is the main verb. "armed" is a verb that gives a description to as to how Israel entered it's latest conflict with Hamas, hence, a past participle.

thuhoai

Vietnam
    Thank you for your quick reply.

Do you think by puting "armed" after "Hamas" may be cause confusion or misunderstanding ? I mean "Hamas armed with a high-tech arsenal, real-time battlefield intelligence...." not Israel did".

Liam Lew's

Thank you for your quick reply.

Do you think by puting "armed" after "Hamas" may be cause confusion or misunderstanding ? I mean "Hamas armed with a high-tech arsenal, real-time battlefield intelligence...." not Israel did".
    Yes, I think it might cause confusion, but only until you read " for dealing a heavy blow to Hamas". It's not the best written sentence in my opinion.

@sambullock022: Welcome on board, sambullock!:)

< Previous | Next >