Which (ONE) of the list is the best?

hamlet

Français (FR)
Would you rather say : "Which of the list" or "which one of the list"? I think the first one sounds better

• Loob

English UK
    Do you have any more context, hamlet?

I can think of contexts where "which one on the list" or even "which one...from the list" might suit (Which one on the list shall we telephone next?" "Which one shall we pick from the list of topics?).

Loob

timpeac

English (England)
    Yes, for me "in, on or from" could work, depending on context, but not "of".

With "of" I think you are mixing up a similar construction with the plural -

Which one of the buildings need painting?
    Which of the cats is yours? etc.

I think putting the "one" in is optional, but probably more common with it in.

hamlet

Français (FR)
    Okay. So it's "Which ONE". Now timpeac you say it could be in, on or from depending on context. Can you elaborate please?

timpeac

English (England)
    Okay. So it's "Which ONE". Now timpeac you say it could be in, on or from depending on context. Can you elaborate please?
    Well, loob has given examples of "on" and "from" above. An example of "in" would be "he's number 2 in the list".

liliput

U.K. English
    Generally speaking I'd refer to something something as on a list.
    However, I might ask you to choose something from a list.
    Personally, I think I'd rarely (if ever) say in a list.

AWordLover

USA English
    Choosing between in a list and on a list is tricky. I might say either. This could be an AE/BE thing, like waiting in line, which I believe is mostly done on this side of the pond.

< Previous | Next >