Which phrase sounds better?

< Previous | Next >

sergtab

Russian, Russia
Please tell me, which phrase sounds better?

1). 119% of the control
2). 19% greater the control

• sergtab

Russian, Russia
    Context:
    The average mass of tomatoes from a single plant was greater in the variant of treatment with mixture of 4 strains of antagonistic bacteria (119% of the control).

Del Arbol

EE.UU. English
    Context:
    The average mass of tomatoes from a single plant was greater in the variant of treatment with mixture of 4 strains of antagonistic bacteria (119% of the control).
    Serg,

I'm no scientist, but I'm not sure how one could have 119% of a control group for anything. I don't mean to be "nitpicky" but is it possible a decimal was misplaced? :confused:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Serg,

I'm no scientist, but I'm not sure how one could have 119% of a control group for anything. I don't mean to be "nitpicky" but is it possible a decimal was misplaced? :confused:
    I don't see any problem about this. The average mass was greater than the average mass of the control, and we are told by how much (119% of the control). So, Sergtab, you need to say:

either

119% of the control.

or

19% greater than the control.

Del Arbol

EE.UU. English
    I don't see any problem about this. The average mass was greater than the average mass of the control, and we are told by how much (119% of the control). So, Sergtab, you need to say:

either

119% of the control.

or

19% greater than the control.

Ah, I see. Apologies to serg. Thanks Thomas.

< Previous | Next >