woman who used to rub her eyes with her hands until they
became sore and infected found it helpful to put on make-up
when she was tempted to rub.

Please help me get the right answer!!

Thank you,

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please give us your opinion first, and explain your choice. Then we can help you, if you seem to need it.

A suggestion: What do you think is the main idea of the paragraph? Once you have that, it will be easier to figure out what doesn't fit.

everpine

Korean
    OK,,,actually this is a question from Korea SAT for this year. The official answer is number 4: If the itches, however, do not disappear, stop scratching and take the medicine.
    But, it seems to me that number 5 also does not have any element which makes the sentence indispensable to get the seamless flow of logic or reasoning of the whole paragraph. I wanted to check from natives if I am losing something here.

Thank you.

Copyright

American English
    The key are the words in red -- and the introductory sentence says the solutions must involve the hands:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you experience urges when trying to break a habit and these can be hard to resist unless you find something else to do instead, and best of all, something that uses the same part of the body -- even the same muscles.

(1) If the habit involves your hands, as when pulling out hair, then try to occupy them in some other way.
    (2) Playing with a toy or opening and closing your fists for a couple of minutes might be an answer.
    (3) The habit of scratching can be replaced with rubbing in some lotion or patting with the palm of the hand.
    (4) If the itches, however, do not disappear, stop scratching and take the medicine.
    (5) One 35-year-old woman who used to rub her eyes with her hands until they became sore and infected found it helpful to put on make-up when she was tempted to rub.

All but #4 use the hands as a solution -- #4 uses medicine.

Last edited:

Cagey

English - US
    What do you take to be the main idea of the paragraph?

You might pay special attention to the first sentence, which should give an indication of what is to follow.

everpine

Korean
    The main idea of this question is striking out any one of the numbered sentences which doesn't constitute the integral part of the whole paragraph. Despite copyright's kind explanation, I still don't get it why no. 4 is the right choice. If everything fails, you can rely on medicine as a last measure, right?

Copyright

American English
    The main idea is not to select the odd one out. The main idea is that hands should be used as a way to break a habit.

Answers 1, 2, 3 and 5 all use the hands as a solution. Number 4 uses medicine... not the hands. So it's the odd one out.

everpine

Korean
    Answers 1, 2, 3 and 5 all use the hands as a solution. That is what is asked for in the introduction. Number 4 uses medicine... not the hands. So it's the odd one out.
    OK,,,now I begin to see the picture. Thank you, Copyright and Cagey...

Cagey

English - US
    This is a paragraph written about one subject. The point of the test is to see whether you can see what the subject is, and therefore know what doesn't fit. The first sentence of a paragraph should tell you what the paragraph is about:

Most of you experience urges when trying to break a habit
    and these can be hard to resist unless you find something
    else to do instead, and best of all, something that uses the
    same part of the body
    ― even the same muscles. ①

The topic: How to break a habit by using the same part of the body to something else.

The only sentence that isn't about this is the one that tells you to use medicine to stop itching, that is, #4. The paragraph isn't about how to stop itching. #4 doesn't fit.

I see that Copyright has come to the same conclusion, using different reasoning.

< Previous | Next >