Which sentence is correctly punctuated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
'Quentin is a fine writer' does not necessarily imply that Quentin is alive, on the other hand: writers, musicians, etc., even when dead, are permitted to inhabit the present.

'Quentin is a fine writer' does not necessarily imply that Quentin is alive. On the other hand,writers, musicians, etc., even when dead, are permitted to inhabit the present.

I would like to know which sentence is punctuated correctly. Or is either fine?

Thanks.

• Karen123456

Malaysia English
    Which do you favour, and why?
    I prefer #2 because #1 seems to have a comma splice in punctuation as indicated below.

'Quentin is a fine writer' does not necessarily imply that Quentin is alive, on the other hand: writers, musicians, etc., even when dead, are permitted to inhabit the present.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Just an aside: I prefer #2, but I think it would be best to drop "on the other hand" entirely: "Quentin is a fine writer" does not necessarily imply that Quentin is alive: writers, musicians, etc., even when dead, are permitted to inhabit the present.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
    Just an aside: I prefer #2, but I think it would be best to drop "on the other hand" entirely: "Quentin is a fine writer" does not necessarily imply that Quentin is alive: writers, musicians, etc., even when dead, are permitted to inhabit the present.
    Thanks, Copyright.

I agree with you that "On the other hand" could be removed.

"Quentin is a fine writer" does not necessarily imply that Quentin is alive; writers, musicians, etc., even when dead, are permitted to inhabit the present.

Would it be wrong if I use a semi-colon instead of a colon?

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Despite my preference for a colon, which is a drum roll to your dramatic reason for saying what you've just said :))), I think you can reasonably use a semicolon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >