which side of the coin faces uppermost

Perseas

One of the WR dictionary's meanings for 'toss' is:

1. throw lightly or casually

• throw (a coin) into the air so as to make a choice, based on which side of the coin faces uppermost when it lands.

In the example given I think faces is the verb , side the subject (and uppermost means upwards). Am I right?

• Packard

USA, English
    After flipping a coin it came up heads.

I would use just "up".

It is "heads up" or "heads down" or "tails up" or "tails down".

Egmont

English - U.S.
    You only have to say "The coin landed face up." Since coins don't decide on their own that they should fly into the air and land, a listener or reader can infer that someone tossed it.

Packard

USA, English
    You only have to say "The coin landed face up." Since coins don't decide on their own that they should fly into the air and land, a listener or reader can infer that someone tossed it.
    Yes and no. Yes, they don't fly on their own; no, that someone tossed them. I would include "toss" or "flip", if that was the notion I wanted to convey.

I flipped the nickel fifteen times in a row and each time it landed face up. I knew this was going to be my lucky day.

I dropped an entire pocketful of coins on the floor, and as I was picking them up I noticed that all of them had landed face up. I knew this was my lucky day.

< Previous | Next >