Which sights do you think are worth seeing?

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I like traveling a lot and I was thinking of asking people the question "Which sights in China do you think are worth seeing?" (if someone is already going to be in China or going to be in a certain part of China). I've been to some famous places in China, but there are so many more...
Would anyone know how to ask this question in Chinese? (I was thinking of China, but it could apply to any country, really) It does not necessarily have to be 直译; 意译 is also good!
Thanks! :)

• yuechu

Canada, English
    Hi, SimonTsai! Thanks for your help!
    Is it possible to say "...值得一看" and "值得看"? (What is the meaning of 一 here?)

I think in English, the original sentence can be either positive (or neutral) or negative. I don't mean it in a negative sense though. Does 你覺得中國有哪些值得一看的景點? sound negative at all? (Would it be better to ask something like 在中国,你推荐去哪些景点?)

Thanks again! :)

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    值得一看 worth seeing
    值得一提 worth mentioning

It is possible yet not recommended to exclude 一 from the above phrases. 一 could be roughly understood as 'briefly'. (Does 'worth a glance' sound natural enough to you?)

I have a hard time, at the moment, coming up with a context where the original implies something negative, perhaps because I am not an English achiever.

Your version works well. But why might it sound negative?

Last edited:

yuechu

Canada, English
    Oh ok! Thanks for your explanation, SimonTsai!

It is possible yet not recommended to exclude 一 from the above phrases. 一 could be roughly understood as 'briefly'. (Does 'worth a glance' sound natural enough to you?)
    明白了. I think in this context, perhaps "worth having a look at".

I have a hard time, at the moment, coming up with a context where the original implies something negative, perhaps because I am not an English achiever.
    Oh, it isn't actually negative (nor is it meant to be), I just wanted to make sure that it didn't sound like it was in either language!
    謝謝!

< Previous | Next >