which suggests/which shows

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Alisha.S, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Alisha.S Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Привет,

Мне хотелось бы знать как сказать "which suggests/which shows" в следующей фразе:

In the book the stepmother is dressed in black, which suggests/shows that she is evil.

My try: В книге мачеха одевается в черном, показая, что она - зла.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

2. morzh

morzh Banned

USA
    Russian
    Что является намёком (Что намекает) на (то, что она - злая).
    Что указывает на то, что......
    Что заставляет предположить, что.....
    Что подсказывает нам то, что.....

3. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    В книге мачеха одевается в черное, намекая на то, что она злой персонаж.

4. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    Вряд ли персонаж может намекать такое о себе самом.

5. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    Ну, один из атрибутов адской сущности и скверного, но рефлексирующего характера персонажа.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  6. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    Вы читали книгу, что ли? Раз так хорошо знаете характер персонажа...

In the original sentence it is obvious that it's not the stepmother herself who gives us that hint, but it's rather the author.

7. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    Думаю, что если автор уверен в том, что его персонаж злой, то и его персонаж будет своими поступками об этом намекать и даже более.
    If the author is sure about the evil character of his hero, the character will also show her evil sides in the author's book.

8. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    Your second sentence (in English) is not quite the same as your first sentence (in Russian).
    A character can "show" her evil sides, but can't "hint" at them.

9. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    The hero can show or can hint at her evil sides. It is not crucial and depends on the author's idea. Think of the author as of Agatha Christie. A bunch of hints reveals the criminal in the final.

10. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    You mix up hints of an author with hints of a character. I can't help it.

P.S. If I rob an old lady, I show my bad nature. But saying that I hint at my bad nature by robbing would be ridiculous.

11. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    The robbing is not a hint at bad nature, it is a fact. But certain attributes of gang culture like talk, clothes etc. can hint at that.

12. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    I can only repeat, you mix up hints of an author or of circumstances with hints of characters/persons themselves.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  13. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    From linguistic text:
    http://www.philol.msu.ru/~tezaurus/library.php?view=c&course=3&raz=4&pod=3
    Таким образом, имя героя намекает на его мечты о любви, счастье, на его мирный, благодушный нрав.

Thus, the name of the hero hints at his dreams of love and his good nature.

So the clothes can also hint at anything.

14. morzh

morzh Banned

USA
    Russian
    Я бы, если нравится "намёк", сказал:

- Содержит намёк на.

15. wdata

wdata Member

St.Petersburg
    Russian
    Я бы, пожалуй, сказал: "... одета в чёрное, с намёком на то, что она зла(или, более широко "отрицательный персонаж")"

16. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    "So"? :D
    Of course, the clothes of the hero can hint at anything, and additional links are not needed for confirming this idea.

The clothes can hint; the hero herself - can't.

Great, wdata! Exactly what I was going to suggest myself. "Она злая" sounds somehow childish and not idiomatic for texts like that.

17. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    You mix up things, not me. Saying that she gives a hint is wrong in the first place, because she doesn't.

It's that the wearing of certain clothes can give us a hint at (or idea of) anything. Намекать is to induce thoughts and намекая is наводя на мысль о том.

В книге мачеха одевается в черное, наводя на мысль о том / и наводит на мысль о том, что она злой персонаж.

If it's wrong grammatically, prove it.

18. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    Are you arguing with yourself now?

Наводить на мысль is much better. In your previous posts you insisted on the word намекать which is unacceptable in this case.
    "Злой персонаж" doesn't sound good; "отрицательный персонаж" is the best variant here.

19. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    Just underlining the meaning of the sentence.

They are synonyms. I stand with my option with намекать.

20. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    They're definitely not. Don't confuse learners.

- Наша команда играет очень плохо. Это наводит на мысль, что они не готовились к игре.:tick:
    - Наша команда играет очень плохо. Это намекает на то, что они не готовились к игре.
    :cross:

God help you.

21. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    Something tells me that synonyms are not interchangeable but just close words and phrases.

22. morzh

morzh Banned

USA
    Russian
    "зла" так же не подходит. В данном случае это означало бы, что она "сейчас зла".

Выражение лица может намекать на то, ,что она зла.
    Одежда наводит на мысль о том, что она злая.

23. wdata

wdata Member

St.Petersburg
    Russian
    Вообще-то, я акцентировал употребление конструкции "с намёком", но, согласен, "злая" в этой фразе более правильно.

24. morzh

morzh Banned

USA
    Russian
    Просто, здесь желательно употреблять правильньiе значения - иностранцам-то невдомек, что имеется в виду. А тонких различий они могут не знать. Опечатки у всех бьiвают, в остальном лучше следить за употреблением.

25. Alisha.S Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Actually, the sentence itself wasn't that important, I just wanted to know how to say "which suggests" or "which shows" in this sort of context. The sentence was only meant as an example, and I'm sorry if it has caused any confusion! Thanks again to everyone.

26. Ptak Senior Member

Moskau
    Rußland
    I believe that every context is unique.
    "Which suggests" or "which shows" can't be universally translated in any context.