which temporarily deafened me while <bursting blood vessels in my nose.>

park sang joon

Korean
The protagonist is one of the royal family members of Amber, who are half-immortal, and a sorcerer.
He and his allies were just now teleported into his adversary's citadel and now fighting against the adversary, whom the protagonist called Mask, and his pawn.

I was about to scream for Mandor to take the old boy out, when Mask hit me with a Klaxon spell which temporarily deafened me while bursting blood vessels in my nose.
["Sign of Chaos" of The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny]
I'd like to know why it is "bursting blood vessels in my nose," not "blood vessels in my nose bursting."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• Barque

Tamil
    It describes the effect of the spell - what the spell did. It burst blood vessels in his nose.

Mask hit me with a Klaxon spell. The spell temporarily deafened me, at the same time as it (the spell) was bursting blod vessels in my nose.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, Barque, for your very helpful answer. :)
    Then I was wondering if it is possible because "while" clause is a time-adverbial clause.

Barque

Tamil
    I hadn't heard of a "time-adverbial clause" before but looked it up just now. It's probably the same as an "adverb clause of time" which is what I found.

Yes, it's a time-adverbial clause. This construction is valid - think of it as having an implied "it was" before "bursting".

...Mask hit me with a Klaxon spell which temporarily deafened me while [at the same time as it was] bursting blood vessels in my nose.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >