which was in the latitude of 60 degrees

enkidu68

turkish
Hi,
Hi everyone, this is from Colonel Jack by Defoe.
Question: Is this true in terms of geographical prove? To me it is wrong because net gives it Cape Charles, Virginia coordinates-latitude for this city is: 37.24872, longitude: -76.003772, Cape Charles, Virginia gps coordinates, Cape Charles, Virginia longitude and latitude, Cape Charles, Virginia map info, gps info in Cape Charles, Virginia, Latitude and Longitude for Cape Charles, Virginia
As you know, geographic places and terms always raise difficulties

We had a very good voyage, no storms all the way, and a northerly wind almost twenty days together; so that, in a word, we made the capes of
Virginia in two-and-thirty days from the day we steered west, as I have said, which was in the latitude of 60 degrees 30 minutes, being to the north of the isle of Great Britain; and this, they said, was a very quick passage.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Defoe has used an older syntax: which was in the latitude of 60 degrees 30 minutes, refers to the line that the ship took from England to the colonies:

We had a very good voyage, as I have said, which was in the latitude of 60 degrees 30 minutes, being to the north of the isle of Great Britain; and this, they said, was a very quick passage. No storms all the way, and a northerly wind almost twenty days together; so that, in a word, we made the capes of Virginia in two-and-thirty days from the day we steered west.

In the 17th century, ships would attempt to keep close to land, rather than sail directly to the Americas: This voyage would have been north towards Iceland; west towards Greenland and then south-west towards Newfoundland and then follow the East Coast of America southwards.

< Previous | Next >