...which would be felt only if they are hospitalised.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
Many people preferred to pay lower premiums on a regular basis rather than lower deductibles, which would be felt only if they are hospitalised.

Why is 'are' used by the journalist? I feel that "will' should have been used instead of "would", since "are" is used? Am I correct?

Thanks.

• EStjarn

Spanish
    It's from a current article in Today (Singapore newspaper). Here's more context, with the opening paragraph:
    SINGAPORE — After months of dialogues and discussions, the MediShield Life Review Committee yesterday recommended substantial increases in benefits for the insurance scheme that will cover all Singaporeans for large hospital bills from the end of next year.

[...]

Many people said they preferred to protect themselves against very large bills, which would be addressed by lower co-insurance and higher claim limits. They also preferred to pay lower premiums on a regular basis, rather than lower deductibles, which would be felt only if they are hospitalised.

Asked why there were no premium rebates recommended for those who maintain good health, Mr Chin said this would result in higher premiums.
    I'd say it's an error. It should be 'were' or 'were to be'.

< Previous | Next >