whine up

< Previous | Next >

kate1811

Italian
This is part of an alternate screenplay for Alien3 I found on the web. Setting is a space station -they just found the spaceship Ripley escaped with at the end of the second movie.
"A cherry-picker vehicle, with extended boom, whines up to Sulaco [the spaceship]. The lock sighs open on darkness. Buzz of static, indistinct radio exchanges, as a half-dozen lights play over the drop-ship, the walls of the lock. Tully [the protagonist] enters, stares around, eyes wide through his faceplate. Beside his is a marine with a pulse-rifle - obviously psyched for combat".
I don't understand what "whines up" means in this context.. maybe avvicinarsi?
Thank you!

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    A "whine" is a high pitched sound like a jet engine.
    "Whines up" in this context means that the vehicle makes a high pitched sound while it is moving toward Sulaco.

Obviously it is wrong, since there is no "sound" in space.
    But in the movies, anything is possible.:)

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    This is part of an alternate screenplay for Alien3 I found on the web. Setting is a space station -they just found the spaceship Ripley escaped with at the end of the second movie.
    "A cherry-picker vehicle, with extended boom, whines up to Sulaco [the spaceship]. The lock sighs open on darkness. Buzz of static, indistinct radio exchanges, as a half-dozen lights play over the drop-ship, the walls of the lock. Tully [the protagonist] enters, stares around, eyes wide through his faceplate. Beside his is a marine with a pulse-rifle - obviously psyched for combat".
    I don't understand what "whines up" means in this context.. maybe avvicinarsi?
    Thank you!
    Hi kate 1811!

Ho trovato in rete quanto segue, spero che ti sia utile:

To whine = To move with a whining sound.

Whining sound= Suono lamentoso (piagnucoloso) (è intrinseco che il suono è riferito ad un motore)

To whine=To go, locomote, move, travel - change location; move, travel, or proceed, also metaphorically.
    Bye.

Benzene

< Previous | Next >