whinging/whining

Mr X

Australia, English
I've been told that whinging is the British (and Australian?) equivalent of the American word whining.

I know, and use, both words, but to me they have slightly different meanings. Whinging basically means complaining, but whining more describes a high-pitched noise.

For example, if I told someone to stop whinging, it would be because I was sick of them complaining. However, if I told someone to stop whining, it would more likely be because their annoying high-pitched voice was really getting on my nerves.

I was curious about what other people thought about this, and whether it's different in other countries.

• Axl

England, English
    American Heritage Dictionary: -

whine
    v. whined, whin·ing, whines
    v. intr.
    1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
    2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
    3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch: jet engines whining.
    v. tr. To utter with a whine.
    n.
    1. The act of whining.
    2. A whining sound.
    3. A complaint uttered in a plaintive tone.
    whinge
    intr.v. Chiefly British whinged, whing·ing, whing·es To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

I attach the same definition as you do, BTW.

Meysha

Australia, English
    I find that whinging is complaining excessively about something. And whining is that high pitched version of whinging that little kids do. If I wanna be really picky I'd said that whining is the way that you whinge. You can whinge without whining.

But I remember my mum always saying to me, "Stop your whinging and whining!"

zhonglin

Mandarin
    Hi,

In relation to the word "whining" can I ask a child;

what are you whining about?
    what are you whining for?
    what are you whining to me?

Please advise if they're possible. Thank you.

Myridon

English - US
    What are you whining about?
    What are you whining for?
    What are you whining about to me?
    Two could meant "Why are you whining?" or "What thing are you asking for while whining?"
    Whine is intransitive so the third sentence needs "about". About what are you whining to me? What are you whining to me about? What are you whining about to me?

zhonglin

Mandarin
    thank you for your advice! Would the below sentence work without "to me" if there's no implication as to whom the child i whining to?

What are you whining about?

< Previous | Next >