whipped vs. henpecked?

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:

Are these adjectival past participles exact synonyms?

Can they be used interchangeably in a sentence like this( written by myself): "he was henpecked into eating a food he hates."?

You are so whipped/ henpecked ?

Thanks

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    Erm ... if this is about what I think it is, I'd say "You are so whipped, dude" and call it a day.

High on grammar

Farsi
    Is it not clear who is doing what? It is obviously the wife or the girlfriend who is doing the whipping or henpecking, and it is the man who is being whipped or henpecked in eating a food he hates.

Thanks

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thanks for the context. :) It may be clear to you, but context is one of the things we always require, just to be sure that we are not going to give a misleading answer. It also helps other learners to understand what the thread is actually about.

bennymix

I think you don't see the type of 'whipping' that's involved.

Note that the words don't go into active verbs the same way.
    She henpecked her husband. :tick:
    She (pussy) whipped her husband. :confused::eek:

Is it not clear who is doing what? It is obviously the wife or the girlfriend who is doing the whipping or henpecking, and it is the man who is being whipped or henpecked in eating a food he hates.

Thanks

Hermione Golightly

British English
    But a context is a situation. What exactly is going on to make you want to use these words at all? All you have given us is he and a woman making a man eat food he doesn't like. What sort of woman and what's the relationship between them.
    What do you mean by 'whip'? Are you using it with the normal meaning to be hit with a whip or do you really mean 'pussy-whipped'? 'Hen-pecked' is an acceptable word, 'pussy-whipped' is very vulgar slang that might well not be understood, I venture to suggest. In fact I didn't realise that's what you meant until velisarius mentioned vulgarity.
    So, bottom line, they are not synonymous, nor used interchangeably as you'll appreciate if you take the trouble to read the dictionary definitions carefully.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    So, bottom line, they are not synonymous, nor used interchangeably as you'll appreciate if you take the trouble to read the dictionary definitions carefully.
    I'd venture to say that it's a highly specific meaning, even when taking the trouble to read dictionaries carefully. :)

Dictionaries aren't clear on this.

Thus the query.

bennymix

Good points, Hermione. :)

But a context is a situation. What exactly is going on to make you want to use these words at all? All you have given us is he and a woman making a man eat food he doesn't like. What sort of woman and what's the relationship between them.
    What do you mean by 'whip'? Are you using it with the normal meaning to be hit with a whip or do you really mean 'pussy-whipped'? 'Hen-pecked' is an acceptable word, 'pussy-whipped' is very vulgar slang that might well not be understood, I venture to suggest. In fact I didn't realise that's what you meant until velisarius mentioned vulgarity.

High on grammar

Farsi
    No special reason. Just out of curiosity. So, you guys are saying that I can't use "whip" in a passive mood because of the literal meaning of the word. I guess the reason is that It would sound that the wife is using an actual whip in order to force her husband to eat the food.
    Thanks

High on grammar

Farsi
    So, you guys are saying that I can't use "whip" in a passive mood because of the literal meaning of the word.

I did not say that. If you're OK with a possibly vulgar insinuation and the reaction you may possibly get, go ahead.

Actually, the reason I wanted to use the word “whip” the way I did in #1 was the meaning of “whipped” as an adjective which refers to a man who is submissive to his wife’s needs. That’s why I asked you guys if I could use it that way, which,apparently, I cannot.

Thanks

Language Hound

American English
    ...So, you guys are saying that I can't use "whip" in a passive mood because of the literal meaning of the word. I guess the reason is that It would sound that the wife is using an actual whip in order to force her husband to eat the food.
    No, that is not it.
    "You are so whipped" is short for "you are so :warning:pussy-whipped," which, as mentioned above,
    is very vulgar slang.
    "Henpecked" is a word you can use in your grandmother's presence; "pussy-whipped" is not.

In my opinion--and in the opinion of the Dictionary of American Slang (see below)--"henpecked" and "pussy-whipped" are synonymous,
    but they are of a TOTALLY different register.
    pussy-whipped
    adjective

Dominated by one's wife or female lover; obsequiously uxorious; henpecked: Francie had had it with bore-ass ''pussy-whipped'' men (1956+)

High on grammar

Farsi
    No, that is not it.
    "You are so whipped" is short for "you are so :warning:pussy-whipped," which, as mentioned above,
    is very vulgar slang.
    "Henpecked" is a word you can use in your grandmother's presence; "pussy-whipped" is not.

In my opinion--and in the opinion of the Dictionary of American Slang (see below)--"henpecked" and "pussy-whipped" are synonymous,
    but they are of a TOTALLY different register.
    Thanks

< Previous | Next >