Whisk (together)

Kotuku33

French & English, Alberta, Canada
Hello! In your view, in this sentence (from a recipe), is the word "together" redundant? i.e. Can it be deleted? Or are both versions OK?

"In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lime zest, and condensed milk until smooth."

Thank you in advance!

• owlman5

English-US
    I think you could omit "together" in that sentence without destroying the meaning of the sentence. But I don't see any advantage in doing that unless you lack enough space on a page to include "together."

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    It could be deleted, but it is usually included. The chances are pretty slim that someone might otherwise think that the egg yokes need to be whisked in one bowl and the condensed milk in another (anyone who thinks he can whisk lime zest needs more help than the average cookbook can provide ;)), but it is remotely possible. I can say that I have found that it's almost impossible to include too much explanation in a recipe, the reason being that many inexperienced cooks need all the help they can get.

(Cross-posted with Benny and Owlman)

Kotuku33

French & English, Alberta, Canada
    I am editing a cookbook and although I've done a couple informally in the past, this is not my usual area. My sense is that the balance between two much text and not enough explanation is very hard to strike. But I will leave this in as you lovely people don't see it as incorrect, and I think it looks better.

suzi br

English / England
    Whisk together conveys the point that you can throw them all in together. Sometimes working with eggs requires a staged addition of ingredients.

So, I agree with the crowd.... It is not redundant.

< Previous | Next >