whit - how widely is it used?

< Previous | Next >

kl7

Francia, France
Hi, can anybody tell me if the word "whit" (supposed to mean "small amount") is used often? Is it used in some set phrases?

TIA

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, as others have hinted at, it's usually used in the negative ('I don't give a whit what she thinks about this!') but occasionally might be used in the positive.

Smithy73

UK
    English - England
    "I'm at my whit's end" to mean I am fed up, but that is more of a set phrase rather than something that I would use in writing.

preppie

American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    I think that's "wit's end" .. as in no amount of thinking seems to solve the problem. It's a Biblical phrase (Psalms 107)

Brioche

Australia English
    I certainly haven't heard it used here in Australia.

I have!

A contributor to a blog in The Australian, on 25 March 2010, wrote:
    Barnaby, might stir up the uneducated in the electorate but it doesn't make a whit of sense in terms of policy.

siares

Slovak
    'I don't give a whit what she thinks about this!
    Could I add 'flying'? I don't give a flying whit what she thinks!

And is 'whit' always or only sometimes correct with the reverse negation: I give not a (flying) whit what she thinks!

Thank you.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I wouldn't.

:warning: 'Flying' in 'give a flying fuck' is in part used for the alliteration --- and for the disparaging and ridiculous image of what the act would entail. :warning:

'Flying' doesn't really work in relation to 'whit'

siares

Slovak
    Thank you, Cagey!

And about the reverse negation, is it in use with the verb 'give', if I paraphrased Natkretetp's original: I give not a whit what she thinks about it!

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You could. With the inversion, it sounds rather archaic, but if that is the effect you are looking for, I think it's acceptable.

< Previous | Next >