White bath

< Previous | Next >

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
- At many Spa centers, there is a service which people use cream or other ways to make their skin whiter, is it called "white bath"? :)

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• Monkey F B I

English - USA
    No, I don't believe it is.

Oftentimes, at least in the United States, people use creams for the opposite purpose (to make themselves look more tanned), so I'm not sure we even have a word for it in AE. Then again, I'm not too knowledgeable on spa centers.

Joelline

American English
    I've never heard the term "white bath," so if this process exists here, it must have another name, and I'm afraid that I don't know what the name might be. There are "skin lightening" creams and lotions that are used to treat things like freckles, hyperpigmentation, or liver spots.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Using preparations to lighten skin color was once a fashion among American blacks. Those preparations were known as skin bleaching creams or skin lighteners. (They are, in fact, still available.)

namlan

Banned
    Vietnam
    Dear you guys!

- I now understand about the cream. But is that service called "white bath" at SPA centers? and I was pretty suprised when Monkey F B I had no idea about SPA centers. These are not common words? :)

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Spas are common, but "white baths" is not a familiar term to most of us, it seems. It is reasonable to think that spas include different services in different parts of the world.

una madre

Western Canada English
    Spas are common, but "white baths" is not a familiar term to most of us, it seems. It is reasonable to think that spas include different services in different parts of the world.
    Agree with Nun-Translator.

I have never heard of a "white bath." I can't even think of a starting point to decipher it; the term means nothing to me.

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    I guess you'd call it a "skin-lightening treatment".

I am aware that in Asian cultures (Asia, India, ~Middle East), light skin is perceived as better or prettier or of a higher class, and as such, there have been many forms of skin lightening treatments over the years. However, to my knowledge, this obsession does not currently exist outside of Asia, India, and maybe the Middle East.

< Previous | Next >